Tuesday, November 25, 2008

How It Works

Election Day '08 was bittersweet. The sweet part being the historical election of Senator Obama as the first African-American President of the US, and the bitter part: the discrimination that prevailed in California, Florida, Arizona, and Arkansas. The ballot measures passed in each state make me think about what in Georgia is left to rally the right-wing troops, and it hit me-- placing a ban on adoption by LGBT people. With this haunting thought I did the only thing I knew to do -- start writing elected officials. Thus, NOT IN MY GEORGIA was born. I am writing via email and snail mail each member of the Georgia House of Representatives and Senate with the following initial message:

Dear Representative.....

According to the political rumor mill, a State Senator will sponsor a bill to ban adoption by Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, & Transgender (LGBT) Georgians. What is your opinion on a bill that would ban adoption for LGBT Georgians? If such a bill is sponsored, no matter by whom, how will you cast your vote?

I look forward to your timely response.

Cordially,
Dustin Brookshire



I will share all developments from the correspondences in this blog. I hope you'll stay tuned.

No comments: